Hello! I’m Jennifer.
Hey! You’re here! And I’m so excited!
(I’m pretty sure somewhere there is a blogger handbook stating you should never use three exclamation points in the first line. But hey, I’m a risk taker – this girl is not afraid of punctuation!)
But I’ll tell you what I am afraid of: living a life half lived – a life that isn’t true to what I feel in my heart.
Been there. Did all of it – the wrong marriage, the wrong career, the mortgage, the loans, the very big closet; a life that looked good on the outside but felt wrong on the inside.
But a few years ago I woke up. I took control of my life and cleared out the clutter. I started being honest with myself; listening to my heart, doing more of what I love, and learning to let go of all the rest.
Now I live a crazy, beautiful, messy life that I absolutely love – and I want you to love your life too. Get started here.
THE GIRL BEHIND THE BLOG …
I’m a traveller, minimalist, and dream chaser.
I grew up near Baltimore, Maryland but I caught a bad case of wanderlust at an early age and it has taken me all over the world: pulling pints in London, teaching English in China, caravanning in New Zealand, backpacking solo though Central America and even once getting bitten by a (very small) tiger in Thailand.
Eventually, my travels landed me in Australia, where I’ve spent most of my adult life (so I dream in colour, not color.) I currently live in sunny Queensland – because once you go subtropical you never go back!
I’ve worked a ton of jobs: waitress, travel agent, barmaid, marketing manger, fruit sorter, account exec, auditor and more. Nothing made me particularly happy so last year I walked away from full-time employment. I earn my bread and butter juggling side jobs and I make it work by living simply.
A FEW MORE FUN FACTS
- I grew up in my family’s Chinese restaurant and then worked in restaurants for many years. I believe you can learn a lot about someone by how they treat a waitress.
- At 22, I impulsively bought a one way ticket and moved to London, with nothing but $500 and a vague plan of travelling the world. Surprisingly, that’s exactly what I did.
- I’m a creative thinker and I ask a lot of questions. Sometimes I create complicated solutions to simple problems, but it’s more fun that way (because it’s all about the journey!).
- At 23, I lost my father and brother within six months. It was heartbreaking but it taught me that life is short and to live for today. I feel like I honour their lives by making the most of mine.
- I’ve travelled the world alone, hitchhiked in Alaska and received death threats in Guatemala. But I’ll be frozen with fear if you ask me to watch a scary movie or go into a haunted house.
- I know it’s never too late to reinvent yourself and follow your heart. I married young to a good man, but he wasn’t the one for me. Deciding to leave was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made for myself (but also one of the most painful and difficult).
- I don’t believe in letting your past define you. Keep taking chances, trying new things and moving forward (like asking a handsome Englishman you just met to quit his job and move to the other side of the world). They pay off.
I would love to hear from you! You can contact me via email at jennifer(at)simplyfiercely.com
Photo: Ian Messenger (an awesome wedding photographer based near Toronto.) // used with permission.