THE GIRL BEHIND THE BLOG
I’m a traveller, minimalist and dream chaser.
I grew up near Baltimore, Maryland but I caught a bad case of wanderlust at an early age and it has taken me all over the world: pulling pints in London, teaching English in China, caravanning in New Zealand, backpacking solo through Central America and even once getting bitten by a (very small) tiger in Thailand.
Eventually, my travels landed me in Australia, where I’ve spent most of my adult life (so I dream in colour, not color.) I currently live in sunny Queensland—because once you go subtropical you never go back!
I’m married to a handsome Englishman and we have a very cheeky one-year-old daughter. I don’t post much about her on the blog but I’m all about the baby spam on Instagram!
I’ve worked a ton of jobs: waitress, travel agent, barmaid, marketing manager, fruit sorter, account exec, auditor and more. Nothing made me particularly happy so a few years ago I walked away from full-time employment. Now I earn a living by freelancing and selling courses on this blog (which is only possible because I live simply!).
Speaking of living simply, I’m a reformed shopaholic turned minimalist. I believe that clearing out the clutter is a vital part of creating a life you love.
I dream about taking chances, I’m always looking for adventure, and I love learning new things. I’ve learned this keeps my soul happy.
A FEW MORE FUN FACTS
- I grew up in my family’s Chinese restaurant and then worked in restaurants for many years. I believe you can learn a lot about someone by how they treat a waitress.
- At 22, I impulsively bought a one-way ticket and moved to London, with nothing but $500 and a vague plan of travelling the world. Surprisingly, that’s exactly what I did.
- I’m a creative thinker and I ask a lot of questions. Sometimes I create complicated solutions to simple problems, but it’s more fun that way (because it’s all about the journey!).
- At 23, I lost my father and brother within six months. It was heartbreaking but it taught me that life is short and to live for today. I feel like I honour their lives by making the most of mine.
- I’ve travelled the world alone, hitchhiked in Alaska and received death threats in Guatemala … but I’ll be frozen with fear if you ask me to watch a scary movie or go into a haunted house.
- I know it’s never too late to reinvent yourself and follow your heart. I married young to a good man, but he wasn’t the one for me. Deciding to leave was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made for myself (but also one of the most painful and difficult).
- I don’t believe in letting your past define you. Keep taking chances, trying new things and moving forward (like asking a handsome Englishman you just met to quit his job and move to the other side of the world). They pay off.