If you want to slow down and reconnect with your authentic self, here are 21 journaling ideas to inspire you. I hope you’ll enjoy these simple prompts for self-discovery and reflection.
Years ago, I read a quote that took my breath away:
“Can you remember who you were before the world told you who you should be?”
I’ve had some trouble clarifying the source (I’ve seen it attributed to both Charles Bukowski and Danielle LaPorte) but regardless, it struck a chord. In a few brief words, it put a name to a feeling that I’d been struggling to explain for years.
Perhaps you’re familiar with it too—that sense that something is “off” in your life without a clear explanation or cause. On the outside, everything appears to be fine, but on the inside, you know that something is not quite right.
This feeling is what happens when we live in the space between who we are and who we think we should be. We chase goals and dreams that don’t serve our true self, which is why we’re not satisfied when we achieve them.
I’ve learned that the way to move forward is to silence the noise. You must make space for your inner voice, and one way to do so is to start journaling. When you put pen to paper, you take the first step on a journey of self-discovery.
I know that it can be hard to figure out what to write in a journal, which is why I put together this list of prompts for self-awareness. At some stage, I’ve used all of these journaling ideas myself, and I can assure you that sometimes, the simplest questions lead to the greatest awakenings.
21 Self-Discovery Questions
1. Describe a dream or goal that you’re afraid to share with anyone else.
2. Think about the last 24 hours. What brings you energy? And what drains you?
3. What did you want to be growing up? Why?
4. Describe your biggest accomplishment and how you felt. Why was it so special?
5. Write a letter to your younger self. What are three things you want her to know?
6. What are some of your strengths? How do they make you unique?
7. Make a list of things and places that makes you happy.
8. What matters most to you? Write a list of your priorities.
9. How would you describe your current season of life?
10. What was the best compliment you ever received? Why was it so significant?
11. What has life taught you so far? Describe the most powerful lessons.
12. Write a list of things you want to start saying “no” to.
13. What is a big decision that you keep putting off making?
14. What is something you regret doing? What is one lesson you can learn from the experience?
15. What do you need to make you feel safe?
16. Who is your favourite fictional character? Why?
17. Which is the best decision you’ve ever made? How do you feel about it?
18. Describe ten qualities that you love about yourself.
19. What would you be if you were given another chance to start?
20. What comes easily to you (that most other people struggle with)?
21. What are three ways you can add joy to an ordinary day?
More Journaling Ideas + Resources
If you enjoyed this list of journal prompts, here are a few more you might like:
- Self Care Journal Prompts For When Times Are Tough
- 7 Journal Prompts to Inspire Simplicity
- 7 Questions to Inspire Intentional Living
A JOURNEY OF SELF-DISCOVERY
If you love journal prompts, mini-challenges, and self-reflection—then I think you’ll love 7 Simple Days.
7 Simple Days is a short course that will:
- bring you clarity and a better understanding of your vision and values
- help you understand what simple living really means to you
- define your priorities so you can focus on the things that matter most
- inspire you to take small, practical steps towards a life you love
- empower and motivate you to write your own story
When you sign up, you’ll get instant access to 7 short but powerful lessons with journal prompts and mini-challenges, a beautiful 14-page workbook, and 7 days of inspirational emails.
And most importantly, you’ll find clarity and confidence—like these like-minded souls:
“Your words have resonated with me since I first stumbled upon them a week ago. In that time, they have helped shift my thoughts, feelings and actions. Minimalism was not a new concept to me. However, the thought of aligning your values to your actions has been revolutionary in my life. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.” – Devon B, 27, Victoria, BC, CANADA
“I felt that something in my life was somehow “off,” but I didn’t know exactly what it was. Working through the questions really helped me pinpoint the areas of my life that need a bit of tweaking. 7 Simple Days is truly simple to follow and fun to work through!” – Shelly B
“Wow, I just think that anyone wanting to change how they manage their life should look into this course. It was a real eye-opener. After the death of my husband last month I needed help to understand my new life and how to prepare going forward.” – Robin J, Maryland, USA
If you’re tired of feeling stuck and you’re ready to hit the reset button, click here to get started with 7 Simple Days.
I hope that these journaling ideas and prompts help you rediscover your hidden magic. Please let me know in the comments if they inspired any insights! I’d love to hear from you.